Now that summer is fully upon us, so is the scorching heat. Keeping your crew safe is still of the utmost importance. Here are a few tips to help keep you and your team safe this summer.
1) Hydration is key. Keep water and Gatorade completely accessible.
2) Avoid energy drinks and cigarettes as both make it more difficult for your body to move oxygen throughout your system.
3) Keep junk food and anything fried off the menu. In high heat, these add stress to the body. Make sure everyone’s had a hearty breakfast and keep lunch on the light side. Eating a smaller lunch should also keep your team from hitting the afternoon slump.
4) Whenever possible, work in the cooler part of the day or set up shade. If you can avoid spending hours unprotected in direct sunlight, you’ll be set!
5) Switch up your uniforms. Keep the colors light and the sleeves short and thin. Wearing less material and lighter colors allows the breeze to cool you down and reflect the sun rather than soaking it in.
6) Make sure your eyes are covered. You’ll want to keep sand, wind, water, porous materials and of course sunlight out of your eyes while you work. We’ve got glasses in stock that can double as sunglasses and safety glasses.
7) Most important of all, keep an eye on your team. If someone starts stumbling, dropping tools, slurring words, or something out of the norm, it might be time for a break. Lie them down under a tree or in the backseat of a truck, take off their boots, and cool them down.
Knowing the signs of heat stroke and knowing your team will only help to make each job safer. Do your part to make sure everyone comes prepared and leaves with the job complete!